Thursday, October 9, 2014

{Baby Girl Nursery Week 2: One Room Challenge}

Happy Thursday Friends! 

So far this one room challenge is holding me accountable for atleast checkin' in with y'all! I haven't accomplished much in the past week....I'm actually feeling a bit overwhelmed at the moment. I need to reign in my ideas and start buckling down and gettin' to work. For the past week, I've been collecting....more ideas and more things.Which has been good and bad....good because I've scored a few fun things for the nursery....bad because I have SO many ideas I need to start weeding out the ideas that aren't going to work or happen in the next few weeks. 

Some key elements of the design have changed in the past week. The beautiful antique chest of drawers that I have been loving for the past YEAR that I shared with y'all on the design board last week.....SOLD. I couldn't believe it (well I kind of can because that is SO my luck!!) I went last weekend to purchase the piece as I told you all I would and I walked in and saw her sittin' there all pretty right where she has been for an entire year. I took my sweet time browsing and when I got closer I noticed the price tag was missing!!! My heart started to sink but I had faith that maybe the tag "just fell off". I went straight to the counter and asked the woman working and she said the chest had just sold and the lady was picking it up next week! ahhhhh!!! I could have cried in all my pregnancy hormone craziness. Then I brought myself back down to earth and remembered it's not the end of the world....something else will come along.

Good bye beautiful chest...


So in all my sadness, it only made sense to come home and order our new crib from amazon instead. This behavior is SO not like me...I usually sit on things for weeks before purchasing. But I also knew it was a key element to the design and overall feel of the room. I know everyone and their cousin has used this jenny lind crib in the past few years, but there is just something classic and timeless about it. We now own two cribs. Craziness. The good thing is that neither cost a fortune so I felt like I could justify the purchase. 

 


So here is a little of what I have "gathered" so far. 




If you remember I originally planned on finding a wire wall shelf organizer. Similar to this piece from Restoration Hardware Baby & Child: 


But in true "Lesley" fashion I knew I wasn't going to spend nearly $200 for the RH piece. So I found it's twin at World Market for half the price: 


But now I'm thinking maybe it's too industrial for such a feminine space? What do y'all think? 

I've always LOVED this image with the vintage wire basket used as "shelf". 

I love the wire basket for storage and a vintage dresser for a changing table...cute

So meanwhile I found some wire baskets at Homegoods. They aren't super long like the one used above, so I bought two of them for a similar look. They have kind of an aged wire blue finish on them which looks great with the paisley fabric. I'm just trying to decide if they would look good hung on the wall or not.....I like that they are "less structured" than the world market piece but I don't want them to look silly either. I figure if I don't use them above the changing table/dresser I can always use them for storage elsewhere.



In all my craziness last weekend, I went out to a barn sale! This woman had tons of "antiques" for cheap stored up in her barn! Granted none of the stuff was in great shape....but if you were looking for a bargain like I was, it was a total jackpot. I dug this little table out of the barn for a few bucks. I think it will look pretty once it's painted or skirted or both (haven't decided). I think I will use it next to the glider chair. I thought it'd also make a cute nightstand when this little lady grows up. 


Plans for it include maybe a burlap ruffled slipcover?

great tableskirt from etsy seller paula and erika...they make round ones too!

Or maybe I'll do something like Dixie Delights, paint the top and skirt just the bottom? 

ASCP Old White coated in clear wax - staple on few yards burlap to cover for two sewing machines into nightstands


This doesn't really have anything to do with the room but I also found this vintage high chair for $5. It is actually in good, sturdy shape- just missing most of the paint. I think the lady started to sand it down to refinish it, but just never finished. I couldn't pass it up. Of course, I will never use it as an actual high chair....but I thought it'd be a fun photo prop and maybe little sister will want to use it for her dolls someday. 




I also found this baby quilt in the hall closet. I've been hanging on to it for YEARS for no specific reason. I think I purchased it at an estate sale when I was in elementary school (thanks mom for dragging me along with you at such a young age!). It is clearly very old and faded and it's not in the best shape....but for some reason I've hung on to it for all these years. I'd like to think that maybe God knew I was going to have a little girl and someday I would want it! :) It doesn't exactly go with the paisley fabric, but i'm going to use it somewhere just not sure where or how.


I think I'm also going to pick up another jute/chenille rug from target. I don't love the border on it....but we have this rug in our dining room and for the price and softness it can't be beat. It's not scratchy like most jute rugs (thanks to the chenille) and it doesn't shed at all which I love. For a small 5 x 7 it's only $72 on sale right now...very tempting.

Threshold™ Chenille Jute Woven Area Rug

After mourning over the loss of my old chest, I found this dresser below at an antique store this week. I love the feminine curve and key holes....just not sure it's exactly what I had in mind. 


Okay that's all my random thoughts for one week. Thanks for listening to all my rambling.... I'm sure I'll be back next week with more crazy thoughts. Here's to hoping I actually get something accomplished by then! :) 

To check out more One Room Challenge participants click HERE.









3 comments:

  1. Hum...I can't decide on the wire basket situation other than to say, I don't love the baskets hung on the wall. I think a few could be really sweet on the floor with teddys and pretty things in them etc. As for the WM one, it's such a great version of the RH one! And I love that inspiration image you have. I think as long as you girly it up like in that photo, it will give a really nice relaxed element to the room. I'd do floor baskets or that but not both. And so sorry about the dresser- I hate when that happens but...I definitely think it means something even better is around the corner! All of your other finds are beautiful- that blanket is so so pretty. Oh and I ADORE the JL crib- it's my long time fave.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Relax, it is alright if you do not finish. Stress will never be productive. I think I agree with Christine about the wire unit hanging, but if it is your look....go for it. I really like the crib that you ordered. Love the blanket. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is going to be one fantastic nursery! I can't wait to see it done! The fabric and paint scheme is dreamy!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...