Tuesday, January 28, 2014

{Top 5 design elements for 2014}

Happy Tuesday Friends! 

I'm back to share with y'all some of my favorite elements I foresee the interior design industry using plenty of this year.  I know I'm a few weeks late...but honestly I've been thinking about this post for weeks, I just wanted to gather my thoughts thoroughly before posting.

For the record....these are just my thoughts, not necessarily everyone will agree with me on these.  I'm also finding that these are all very classic elements, that have come back around.  I'm not sure when a classic element becomes a trendy element, but at some point things do come and go. I know everything goes in 10 year cycles...so maybe I will look back and be wrong but this is what I predict to be seen in the interior design industry in 2014.

1. Painted Cabinetry/Built-ins

And I'm not talking about white.  While white/off-white cabinetry is still happening everywhere. White is always classic.  But what I'm talking about is other neutrals...gray, beige, or a combination of greige. Particularly in kitchen design.  The greige/gray/beige cabinets are here to stay...and for all kitchen design styles from country to contemporary.  

cabinetry, tile wall, granite backsplash, hood

cabinet color/floor/light fixtures

desire to inspire - desiretoinspire.net - Disc Interiors

white walls, windows, greige cabinets, gorgeous floor




Blueprint Bliss


And as for the built-ins/ect. those are going any shade of the painted rainbow...but usually soft muted colors or deep rich colors- nothing too in your face.


Pretty green cupboards/leading into the kitchen next to living room entrance

mudroom cubbies

.

.


2. Vintage furniture

I'm not talking about repurposed/painted vintage.  Is anyone else sick of walking into antique stores and seeing all these wonderful antiques painted bright turquoise, canary yellow, or some horrible "distressed" look.  Let's put down the spray paint & paint brushes, and just let vintage/antiques be themselves (unless they are in really bad shape, then I agree....do what you can to make them look better for your space....) but for the most part, let antiques, be antiques.  Natural distressing is beautiful. Natural wood stains are beautiful.  History is beautiful.  And I foresee real antiques (not chalkpaint/spray paint/whatever paint) making their comeback (not that antiques were ever "out of style" ) but I see people using these vintage/antique pieces in a fresh way in their designs, gone are the days were antiques are only meant for country primitive decor. Antique pieces give interiors a one-of-a-kind look.  Not something that can be easily/if ever recreated by anyone else. People like unique.

James Radin - interior design

Bedroom -- the color of the dresser is really speaking to me today

ROSA BELTRAN DESIGN ENGLISH COLONIAL INTERIOR DESIGN MAHOGANY ANTIQUE CHEST DRESSER CLOSET NOOK DRESSING ROOM BRASS HARDWARE PENDANT VINTAGE ART DECO ROMAN SHADE LINEN WARM WOOD

Home Office Ideas - How to Decorate a Home Office - Country Living

3. Mixed Metals

I know--this has been around for a while. But let's keep rollin' with it.  Mixed metals in interiors give rooms warmth and character.  It makes the room feel collected & unique.  I practice this as much as possible with my design clients.  There are no one metal finish per room rules anymore.  Mixing brushed nickle, chrome, brass, bronze, gold, copper gives rooms dimension and layers. I try to personally stick to 2 maybe 3 metal finishes per room.  By no means do you need/should use all of them. But let's keep the 2-3 mixed metal look going in 2014.

Kitchen, House Beautiful, Bill Ingram, Campaign hardware, Rustic chic, wood, mixing metals

Kitchen With Industrial Pendant Lights. The finish on these industrial pendant lamps makes them stand out.

Big, industrial hinges traditional kitchen by Rebekah Zaveloff | KitchenLab

beautiful mix of metals in a kitchen by erika powell

4. As for pattern of the year.... I'm going with herringbone. 

I'm obsessed with it, I just hope it doesn't get over done like the chevrons/quadrefoil/damask of years past. Herringbone patterning has been around forever, but it feels like a fresh look for 2014.

Used as flooring, tile work, fabric...you name it, anything looks good in a herringbone pattern. 

Herringbone floors.

Design Trends: Herringbone Tile

herringbone

5. Color of the year...white.  i know it was never not used ever.... but it seems beige and even gray walls are feeling a little "overdone" in the industry.  But fresh white feels new again-- especially with all of the above mentioned elements.  

White walls with off white and black - gives a vintage feel whilst still being bold.

dark headboard and white walls  I do love this contrast. could be another option if we decide not to do a grey head board, we can incorporate navy into this space that way

Basement-Cognac leather and white walls


So what do you think? Are you using any of the above in your home this year?

2 comments:

Related Posts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...