Tuesday, March 5, 2013

{mississippi & louisiana}

Well we made it home safe and sound!

17 hours straight in a small compact rental car wasn't great but we survived.  Our trip south was absolutely perfect (minus getting a little turned around in southern Louisiana) we had the best time.  Every day was pretty much packed with fun memories.  

We started off our trip a little groggy, we left bright and early Wednesday morning. Thankfully our little one took some great (aka long)  naps the entire trip, here he is right after his afternoon nap.  We were going through Eastern Texas (Eastern Texas > Western Texas!) And I put in a request to stretch our legs at a lake, so of course I did what any mother would do and grabbed my camera bag. 

This little trooper was awesome the entire way....I think he will be a seasoned traveler by the age of 5. 







We eventually made our way into New Orleans Thursday Afternoon.  We stayed in the French Quarter so promptly after checking into our hotel and parking our rental car, Mr. Cattlebuyer told me to lead the way to where I wanted to go (we were short on time people...only a few hours to explore the city).  He assumed based on all my internet research (aka reading other blogs) I knew where I was going (haha!).  Magazine street was on the top of my list.  I just knew I would love it based on all my research....however after finding magazine street and walking 15 + blocks in, I realized just how LONG Magazine street really is.  I knew we could either keep walking and not make it to anything else....or cut our losses and turn around and walk back to the French Quarter with hopes that maybe we could hit up Magazine the next day.  I figured the latter would be better for everyone (Big C was getting hungry and Little C was persistent on riding a street car)  So we did the logical and turned around to Canal Street.  

We rode the Canal street streetcar (one of the things I researched we should do).  Honestly I would have skipped it all together had we not had a little boy in tow.  For the record, New Orleans isn't exactly a toddler friendly city.  Public transportation totally grosses me out so I should have known better and Canal Street felt too tourist-y to me.  But it put a smile on my little guys face so all's well that ends well.  



Next we moved on to the French Quarter.  Honestly, I was slightly overwhelmed at this point (Big C was still hungry...note to self. never let your husband get hungry.) So I suggested we stop at Cafe Du Monde (it was also on my must do/see list) so we grabbed some powder sugar beignets (highly recommend  and got a sugar high in Jackson Square.  


Basically by that point it was getting dark and I knew we needed to eat supper asap because both my boys were fading quickly.  We also knew we didn't want to have our little guy out too late (we still had a big day of travel the next day) So we headed back to our hotel, regrouped, and then headed out for a quick supper at Oceanas.  It was right off Bourbon Street and it was surprisingly great for a toddler friendly/family atmosphere.  I really wanted to eat at Emeril's Restaurant, NOLA, but I looked into reservations a few weeks prior and they were already booked the night we were in town.  Anyways-- by that point we were so exhausted from traveling and the sensory overload of New Orleans.  All we needed was food and sleep.  I wish we could have had a full day to explore a little bit more, there were so many quaint little boutiques I could have spent hours exploring & shopping! 



Friday we woke up well rested and ready to take on the day.  I snapped a few quick pictures at our hotel before loading up and taking off for Gulfport, Mississippi.  We found our favorite Seabee waiting for us at his hotel.  After exchanging hellos, we grabbed lunch and hopped back in the car to head for our surprise.  

This is where things went a little wrong.  We missed our turn off in New Orleans and unlike the midwest there is no quick exits or turn arounds to be had for miles in the swamp land.  We were supposed to meet the rest of our  family at 1:30 at our surprise destination.  Unfortunately, 1:30 came and went and we were still not where we were supposed to be.  Thankfully, the nice gentleman running our surprise said he would catch us up when we got there.  Eventually after numerous phone calls, and 3 gps directions leading us to our location we found it.  

Houma, Louisiana!

Home of the Swamp People (Mr. Cattlebuyer and Uncle Cole are obsessed).  We surprised Cole with a Swamp tour.  It was fun (despite our late arrival)  we joined up with the rest of the group.  The boat tour lasted about 2 hours.  It was too cold for the gators to come up....so we settled on the blue heron, turkey vultures, owl, and raccoon for our enjoyment.  All-in-all it was super fun! 








Do you spy the turkey vultures hovering in the trees?




We then headed back to Mississippi.  At this point we were all sick and tired of being a vehicle.  We drove up to 12 hours day 1, 7 hours day 2, and we had already been the car 4-5 hours on day 3.  We went from Louisiana to Mississippi, back to Louisiana, then back to Mississippi.  

I was so happy to wake up on Saturday knowing there wasn't any major driving involved in the plans.  We headed out to the beach (btw it was freezing outside the entire trip...thus the northface and scarf).  I of course brought my camera.  So glad I did as later in the day it got cloudy and grey outside.  

My favorite family picture:




Roverboy was LOVING the sand.  He called it "his" beach and we had to kindly bribe him with the promise we would come back to play again.  


Of course, my picture collection wouldn't be complete without a picture of the guy we drove all this way to see.  



Saturday we spent the day at a family event planned for all the soon-to-be deployed service men/women and their families.  It was so overwhelming to see all those individuals and their families all together in one place. Amazing to see so many individuals willing to give up their lives to serve our country.  My Heroes.  Please continue to pray for these service men and women because we are still sending these people overseas despite what you may hear or see on the news. 





We ended our trip with a windy and cold walk on the pier and dinner at Shaggy's in Biloxi.  We had to say  goodbye to Uncle Cole Sunday Morning.  Goodbyes are never an easy thing, but knowing he will be home in the fall and thinking about the welcome home party brings a smile to my face! 



We will sure miss you Uncle Cole! May God keep you safe and protected from all harm and may he pour his unfailing love upon you always.  We are so proud of you! 


13 comments:

  1. Thank you for some other informative web site. Where else could I am getting
    that kind of info written in such an ideal means? I've a challenge that I am just now running on, and I've
    been on the glance out for such information.

    Also visit my web-site: broken pipe in menifee

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sure this paragraph has touched all the internet people, its really really nice piece of writing on building up new web site.


    Look at my web-site: tax planning in bothell

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, everything is going sound here and ofcourse every one is sharing data, that's truly good, keep up writing.

    My page toilet repair in ann arbor

    ReplyDelete
  4. Way cool! Some extremely valid points! I appreciate you penning this write-up plus the rest of the
    website is also really good.

    Review my weblog flooring in wayne

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, amazing blog layout! How lengthy have you ever been running a
    blog for? you made blogging glance easy. The
    full glance of your site is magnificent, let alone the content material!


    Here is my blog :: debt settlement in chula vista

    ReplyDelete
  6. You actually make it seem so easy along with your presentation but
    I in finding this topic to be actually something which I feel
    I'd by no means understand. It sort of feels too complicated and extremely wide for me. I am taking a look forward to your subsequent submit, I will try to get the dangle of it!

    My web blog ... auto towing in claude

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's appropriate time to make some plans for the future and it is time to be happy. I've read this post and if
    I could I desire to suggest you some interesting things or suggestions.
    Maybe you can write next articles referring to this article.
    I want to read more things about it!

    Feel free to surf to my web-site home remodeling in west des moines

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lesley,
    This is amazing. I am so glad you got to go and see Uncle C, before he gets deployed. You guys are awesome friends and family!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm not sure why but this blog is loading extremely slow for me. Is anyone else having this problem or is it a problem on my end? I'll check back later and see if the problem still exists.


    Have a look at my page ... pool servicing in Boynton Beach

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey! Do you know if they make any plugins to help with SEO?
    I'm trying to get my blog to rank for some targeted keywords but I'm not seeing very good success.
    If you know of any please share. Thanks!

    Check out my webpage ... kitchen remodeling in tacoma

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is the perfect blog for anyone who wants to understand this topic.
    You know so much its almost hard to argue with you
    (not that I personally would want to…HaHa).
    You certainly put a fresh spin on a topic that has been written about
    for years. Wonderful stuff, just wonderful!

    Feel free to surf to my web-site ... windows in fullerton
    My page > custom cabinets in fullerton

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's amazing to pay a quick visit this website and reading the views of all mates regarding this paragraph, while I am also zealous of getting know-how.

    Here is my webpage :: notary agent in riverside

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yay! Glad y'all had fun in my neck of the woods! My boys love the streetcars too. Glad y'all had a safe trip.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...