Tuesday, February 7, 2012

{Design Dialogue}



Today I thought it'd be fun to do a little design dialogue! Where I answer some questions and tell you a little about myself! Hope you all enjoy- if not, come back tomorrow I promise this is just a one day thing (I really don't like talking about myself, pretty interiors are way more fun to talk about!)

....................................................................................................................................................
What you do:

I’m a wife, momma, and interior designer juggling a growing interior e*design business!

Five words to describe yourself:

Motivated . Creative . Driven . Loving . Dreamer .

How would you describe your aesthetic?

I think my design aesthetic is influenced by all my daily surroundings as well as my life’s history—I design for real people, not magazine covers. I love traditional, classic, timeless design with a few touches of modern and trendy accessories to keep it lively and fresh (the key is that these “trendy pieces” are easy to change as your style evolves with your life…nothing should ever stay the same and neither should your home decor). I think  every space needs a touch of green (life), some patina (antiques or metal), some type of metallic or reflective surface to bounce natural light, something un-expected or a conversation piece (pop of color, unique art, funky accessory, ect), and of course the most importantly the rooms need to be a true reflection of my clients (family photographs, heirloom keepsakes, books, ect). And of course, being a mother myself I know all rooms need to be practical for real life…because let’s be honest, we aren’t going to put a $1,000 vase on a coffee table if our little smidgens can reach it!

How did you decide you wanted to be an interior designer?

I’ve actually always known I wanted to be an interior designer. When all my little friends were watching Nickelodeon, I was watching HGTV. No joke. My favorite nights were “Saturday Night Design all Night”, I would sit in front of the TV and not get up until I’d watched every single episode (my favorite was decorating cents!). I was an odd ball growing up. I would re-arrange furniture (I still don’t know how I managaged to move our humungous 1980’s sofas around by myself…), I’d beg my mother to let me paint my room & sew my own curtains for 4-H. I even lived in our basement storage room with cement floors and cinderblock walls just to prove I could transform "nothing" into something. It was so great- my friends seriously thought I had the coolest room on the block (except of course for when furnace kicked on all night long...) Haha! I have to laugh now at all it’s ridiculousness. But I really have always known Interior Design was my calling and my passion. As soon as I graduated high school I went to college at the University of Nebraska Lincoln for Interior Design, got accepted, and finished my program in 4 years and also got a minor in Art. I never swaggered in my decision to pursue Interior Design. It’s kind of like when you meet your soul mate, when ya’ know, you know! :)



What are the best and worst parts of your job?

My greatest joy is hearing positive and encouraging feedback from my E*Design clients. An added perk to my job is getting to be home with my baby as well as getting to pursue my passion for Interior Design. I really do feel like I have the best of both worlds.

The worst part is trying to find the balance between working from home & taking care of my boy. I think setting boundaries is so important when you are a “work at home” momma. Making sure to always be present and prioritize as much as possible. I work during nap time, in the early mornings and on weekends. I try to reserve the evenings for family time, this is just what works for us as a family. Although, I don’t always have the balance right, I’m always trying!

Also- tricky is the numbers thing, learning how to run a effective business is hard work ( looking back I should have taken a few business classes…just to educate myself). Luckily I have some pretty good resources in my family to use for all my business & marketing related questions. I’m learning the business side of Interior Design as I go—business knowledge can be taught and learned but having a passion for Interior Design is something you are just born with- can’t buy that at any store. Also, I really think putting a value on your education is super important in this business. I refer to myself as a “designer” because I have the education, knowledge, and expertise to back it up (okay I also have an expensive diaploma as well!). You may pay a little more for a “designer” verses a “decorator” because you are paying for their knowledge as well as their education and talent, I think that’s important to emphasize in this day where the online market is getting saturated with interior decorators. I think there is a place for both designers &decorators but knowing the difference and finding the right fit for a client is imporant!

What advice would you offer aspiring creatives?

Most creative people are also very passionate people. I say just. do. it. I wish someone would have told me that when I graduated (verses, good luck trying find a design job in a shaky economy…) I started reading Interior Design blogs when I graduated in 2009 – but let’s be honest reading blogs doesn’t pay the bills, but I spent hours and hours examining my favorite designer rooms ( I still do! I even take "notes" on my favorite blogs!), reading design blogs and magazines, finding out all about the “design blog world” . I did my internship in Big Sky, Montana working for a high end Residential Interior Design Firm—I learned TONS about the business side of design while being there, I also learned a lot about myself. I ending up spending my first summer after I graduated nannying 3 kids for a local family, I then landed a managerial job a boutique store—neither of these were my “passion” but they paid the bills when the economy was rocky and gave me a foundation for my future. I’d actually probably still be working a similar job if it weren’t for God's grace!

Somewhere between all that, I met my husband, had a baby, moved to a different state, and life brought me to the point where I am now: a work-at-home/stay-at-home mom. I absolutely love it. But if it weren’t for God opening up doors for our family I’d probably not have had the courage to quit my day job to pursue my dream. But I’m telling you keep your day job- start small, do a little on side or in the evenings (nothing good ever came without putting in some hard work), start a blog, get a website, make up some business cards, do whatever you have to do to get a start- because nobody will make your dream come true more than you can. Don’t ever loose sight of your dream. My dream is 10-15 years in the making (since I was a little girl) and I’m still not to where I long to be, but I know I will get there if I keep pursuing my passion.

Where would you like to see your business in five years?

I would love to continue growing my blog and Interior Design business- enough to be able to do it as a full time job. As well as, make new clients, get published in a magazine and maybe even have a store front office space someday! Sky's the limit!

Three items on your wishlist:

Timi & Leslie Charlie Diaper bag (were due for a new one!), Macro Camera Lens for my Nikon, and a vacation to somewhere tropical with my husband!

Three tasks on your bucket list:

Buy a house, Travel, and continue making new clients and growing my business!

................................................................................................................................................................

Hope you all enjoyed that, and learned a little more about little ol' me! I promise I won't make it a regular thing (to talk about myself...) but maybe here and there I'll throw in some random posts about me to help you get to know me better! Sound good?
and since I can't have a post without a picture- here's a completely un-related picture from our wedding day! I love that smile on my husband's face! He's the best!


Happy Tuesday Friends!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...