Tuesday, September 20, 2011

{wiww + diy}

It's Wednesday, so you know what that means....What I Wore Wednesday but today is extra special because I'm throwing in a fun and easy DIY project!

Thankfully it's beginning to feel like fall around here, especially in the mornings which means I get to break out my cardigan collection!

This is one of my fave-y faves, the grey + white stripes...


grey & white cardi: F21
grey cami: new york and co.
jeggings: target
gold metallic ballet flats: old navy
turquoise bauble necklace: uniques & antiques (I reconfigured it to fit my taste! Keep reading....)

So overall this outfit is kinda boring, but what makes it fun is the turquoise necklace that I found for $2.00 at a local antique store! I knew instantly I could reconfigure the necklace for it to be more interesting!

Y'all have seen these bauble necklaces everywhere right?




I love the the statement they can make when you pair such a fun necklace with a simple outfit!

so here's how I did it, it's easy-peasy:




1. Find a cheap-o thrift store/antique store necklace (round beads work best!) cut off the existing clasp and end beads if necessary.  Depending on how your necklace is put together you may need to tie off the ends, luckily my beads were adhered to the string they were strung on so that wasn't necessary.
2.  Find the center of the necklace and place each necklace end in the middle.
3. (THE MOST IMPORTANT STEP) Twist the necklace ends so the necklace wraps around itself.  Where each intersection of beads occurs, grab a small piece of fishing line and tie it in a triple knot.  I tied off the necklace in 6 places.  Then add a dab of super glue on each knot, allow to dry, then cut the ends of the fishing line.  You won't be able to see the fishing line because it will be hidden within the intersection of beads.
4.  Add two jump rings to each end of the necklace.
5. Add chain and a clasp to your new adorable bauble necklace and enjoy! :)

Happy Wednesday Friends!

Next week I have another DIY necklace project to share with you! Can't wait!

9 comments:

  1. Love the striped cardigan! And that is a super good tutorial! What a good idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. super cute outfit and i love the DIY necklace! i have a blue necklace just like that, so i am going to have to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can get a similar cardi at Target right now! I love mine and have been wearing it around the house for a month already. ;) Glad for the Fall weather and being able to wear it out of the house!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute cute cute cardi!
    Great idea with necklace...and so easy too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cool project! And how cute!! I like your outfit, too.

    I followed you here from The Pleated Poppy.

    Jeanine

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cute cardigan, I love a pulled together casual look! Great little necklace project.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am such a big fan of stripes. I love how you used the blue necklace for a pop of color. Great outfit!

    Over from WIWW! :D

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...