Sunday, September 5, 2010

{nursery}

well, it's maybe not quite 100% ....i'm sure i'll continue tweeking it when my babe comes home.
but here it is....



i love how it turned out {so far} and cannot for that final "accessory" for the room, my baby boy!






We honestly only purchased a few of the items in the room, everything else was either handmade, hand-me-down, gifted to us, or free!



I handmade the crib bedding, with some discount cowboy fabric I had eyed at a local store long before I knew we were having a boy. the day we found out it was a boy, i went out and purchased 3 yards of it for $12.00, and i think i've used just about every last inch of it! I loved the vintage quality of the print. I also loved all the warm colors in the fabric. It became the inspiration behind everything.


The bench was found in a dumpster {no joke.} and I gave it some paint and some leftover badding and discount bandana fabric, and it became this cute little reading bench for under the window.
The buckets I found in the dollar section at Target and I thought they'd make a fun storage place for baby toys. I added the stars which were a dollar at Michaels. A little bit of green paint made them pop against the black buckets. The John Wayne sign I found at an antique mall and fell in love. It went great with the cowboy fabric I already purchased, so obviously buying it was a no brainer!


The crib itself was gifted to us from our parents {rover's grandparents} which we are forever grateful for! I think I made Chance help me put it together back in May! So it's been ready for baby for quite some time now!




The dresser was also gifted to us from my grandparents. They had purchased one for my sister when she had her first child and they decided they would keep the tradition going. I love that we chose a dresser verses a changing table, so it can grow with him as he grows through the years. Plus, I think changing tables are tacky looking and really a big waste of money, most of them have no storage what so ever....which is something we need lots of around our place!



The artwork was Chance's dad's who passed away 3 years ago. I thought it would be neat to incorporate some of his stuff so that our baby is surrounded by memories of his grandpa jack. The buffalo print above the crib was painted by a man who was paralzyed and was painted by his mouth! pretty cool huh?!


The bookshelf is built in, and I just added some fun, red wire baskets to store booties, burpcloths, toys, ect.





the only "big" purchase we made out of our own pocket was the glider, which i insisted on having. there was nooooo wayyyy i was going to rock my baby in the old lazy boy Chance had from his dorm room days.....{sorry babe if you are reading this!} I know gliders aren't exactly the most appealing pieces of furniture but sometimes practicality rules over design, especially in a nursery setting. this rule also applies to our very "plastic-y" looking diaper genie. :)



I had to purchase a few accesories here and there, but for the most part this room cost us next to nothing which allowed us to save loads of $$. I'm a firm believer any room can be put together on a tight budget, and this goes to show it can be done. I hope that someday my boy will appreciate all the love that went into his sweet little room.
Happy Labor Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...